Travel Alberta


Please find a list of commonly asked questions below. We hope this FAQ section can assist you in planning your clients trip to Alberta. 

If you have questions or would like more information on a specific item, please do not hesitate to contact us :) 

  • Weather

    Alberta is a four-season destination. Our province is ranked number one by Environment Canada for having the most comfortable weather overall in Canada.

    Summer daytime highs are normally 20 to 25 C (68 to 77 F) but can reach the mid to upper 30s (90s).

    Winter daytime temperatures range from -5 to -15 C (23 to 5 F). Our coldest months of the year are January and February. 

  • Getting Here

    By Air 

    Alberta has three international airports. Easy access to Alberta from more than 100 cities worldwide is available with most major airlines and charter companies. 

    • Calgary International Airport (YYC): 
    • Edmonton International Airport (YEG): 
    • Fort McMurray Airport (YMM): 

    Airport shuttle services from the Calgary and Edmonton International Airports are provided by a number of operators, including: 

    • Banff Airporter:
    • Brewster Transportation:
    • SunDog Tours: 

    By Train 

    Rocky Mountaineer offers service between British Columbia and Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise and Calgary. 

    Alberta is also served by VIA Rail service. Stops are scheduled in Edmonton and Jasper. 

    Visitors to Canada require a valid passport. Canadian Border Services Agency: 

  • Driving Around the Province

    The highways and byways of Alberta are a pleasure to drive with multiple lanes on the main roads, making driving an option for your clients. 

    Alberta is accessible from the east and the west by two officially designated Trans-Canada routes. Highway 1 crosses Alberta in the south and the Trans-Canada Yellowhead Highway 16 crosses central Alberta. North-south travel is provided on the Queen Elizabeth II Highway. There are six international points of entry from the United States. Weather, construction and other activities result in different highway conditions across Alberta. For road conditions dial 511 or visit 

    Driver's licenses from provinces or states are valid in Alberta for up to three months. Please ask your clients to review their travel documents and discuss with their insurance provider before driving in Alberta. 

    To rent a car, you must be 21 years old, have a valid driver's license and a major credit cards. Rental cars can be arranged at all airports or throughout travel in the province, in urban centres. 

    Seatbelts must be worn at all times and it is against the law to use cellphones or mobile devices while driving. 

  • Metric System

    Canada uses the metric system, which means highway and traffic indicators are in kilometres (km) and kilometres per hour (km/h), gas is sold by the litre and temperature is measured in degrees Celsius. 

    Tips & Tricks: 

    Speed - 100 km/h = 62 mph 

    Distance - 1 kilometre = 0.62 miles 

    Volume - 3.8 litres = 1 gallon 

  • Time Zone

    Alberta is in the Mountain Time Zone (GMT - 7 hours) 

  • Currency & Taxes

    Our $1 coin is affectionately referred to as a Loonie and our $2 coin is known as the Toonie. Canada no longer mints one-cent coins and purchases are either rounded up or rounded down to the nearest 5 cents. 

    Major credit cards are accepted at most commercial establishments, banks and currency exchange offices. 

    Alberta is the only province in Canada without a provincial sales tax (PST). The government of Canada charges 5 per cent goods and services tax (GST) on most purchases. 

  • National Park Entry

    Park passes are required for entry into any national park in Canada. Your clients can by a day pass at a park gate, but if they intend to spend time in any of Canada's national parks, encourage them to consider an annual Parks Canada Discovery Pass. With it, they can visit more than 100 national parks, marine conservation areas and historic sites across Canada. Go to to learn more. 

    Passes are not required for entering our provincial parks or recreation areas. 

  • Fishing and Hunting Regulations

    Fishing licenses outside the national parks can be purchased from select sporting good stores, conveniences stores and some gas stations. Please call 1.888.944.5494 for further details. 

    Hunting regulations and special licensing requirements vary depending on the type of hunting. Hunting is absolutely prohibited in the national parks. Anglers, hunters and trappers can find more information at or 

  • What to Pack

    The weather in Alberta can change so quickly so it's best to dress in layers in any season. Warm boots, scarves, mittens and hats are a must in our winter months. Bring a hat and sunglasses for our summer. 

  • Wildlife

    Alberta is home to 587 species of wildlife!

    • 93 different mammals 
    • 411 bird species 
    • 65 species of fish 

    When your clients are in our forests and mountains, please remind them that they are in bear country. They may also see other large animal such as moose, elk, deer, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, wolves and cougars.